Friday, September 28, 2007

Bad day

Skyler has been out of town all week! He just got in tonight--so Ethan and I have been chillin, really enjoying each other. We had a pretty good week...but it all went downhill starting last night. I had about 250 pictures on my camera memory card that I wanted to get developed, so I headed to Smith's to use their little digital camera printer thing. It's pretty neat how you can really customize each picture by zooming and cropping, adding borders or text, etc. Well, I was there for about an hour (Ethan behaved like such a big boy!) and the guy working told me that they would be ready first thing in the morning. Today, I woke up and got ready for a Dr visit....on the way to the appointment, the photo manager of Smith's called and said that for whatever reason, the guy working the night before forgot to enter some sort of code that allows the pictures to be saved and printed. Great....so she was letting me know that I would have to redo the pictures (all 250 of them). I had tons of things to do still, but I had to fit in time for the pictures because I wanted them to be up and scrapbooks done by the time Sky got home. I get in to see the Dr and he told me I have what's called an umbilical hernia (a hole on the inside of my stomach right by the belly button that allows my intestines to come out-gross, I know)--and that if I didn't get it fixed it could cause major problems. We don't want that. So we scheduled a surgery date--October 3! I'm a little nervous because I have NEVER been put under. I still have my wisdom teeth!!! Also, the half marathon that I was planning on running Oct. 21 is out of the question...not to mention the fact that after surgery I am not supposed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 2 whole weeks (a tad ridiculous if you ask me). Poor Ethan! But, on the bright side, my good husband will take 2 weeks off to stay home and take care of me! Yay. I wonder what else I could get surgery on......anyway, back to the "bad day"--we haven't gotten there yet, it was still a relatively good day at this point. After the Dr I went to Smith's hoping to spend no more than 45 min there, but unfortunately half way through, the computer thing failed and all my info was lost again! They moved me to a different one and I finished about 1 hour and 15 minutes later! There were SOOO many problems! It's a good thing I came equipped for Ethan with a bottle, peach puffs, and strawberry wagon wheels. That contained him for most of the time, but towards the end I think we were both getting VERY frustrated. Finally I finished and the lady said the pictures would be done in 30 minutes. I had to run to Target which is down the road, so it was perfect timing. Ethan fell asleep the second I put him in the car seat and by the time we got to Target he was out. I parked next to one of the cart return spots (Ethan is getting WAY too heavy to carry in) and put him in the back of the cart along with my purse. I have an automatic door lock thing on my keychain but decided not to use it because it makes the car honk twice, and I didn't want anything to wake up Ethan because we still had some errands to run. Instead I manually locked the car by reaching in the driver's side door, and apparently I'm a little rusty at that because as I hit the lock button with my right hand, my left hand closed the door and my poor little thumb got smashed! After the initial shock and pain I tried to open the door to get my thumb out, but of course, the door is locked! My thumb is absolutely throbbing at this point and my keys were in my purse...which was in the back of the cart--not in arms reach!!! I thought I was going to pass out. Seriously. There was nobody around, so if you can imagine, I had to stretch out my leg and with my toe, pull the cart to me. Slowly but surely. I finally was able to get my thumb removed, but the damage was done. It was purple and blue the second I got it out of the door, and the throbbing was unbearable!!! 5 minutes later, I'm walking around Target and my thumb had tripled in size. I called Skyler and told him that I thought I broke my thumb! He told me to go to the hospital or quick care to get it looked at, but after putting Ethan through everything at Smith's I didn't want to sit and wait at the hospital (because we all know you don't get right in--emergency room--yeah right). I got some ice from the Pizza Hut in Target and that made it feel much better. After getting the things I needed I headed back to Smith's. And believe me, at this time, I was in NO mood to deal with anymore crap. Sure enough, I walk up and the lady is like, "Uh, bad news....the 3x5's you ordered wouldn't print..." You should have seen my face. I was NOT going to redo ANYTHING! But I guess it all ended well, because she gave me all the pictures for free! I saved like 50 bucks! Yes! Now that $50 can go towards fixing my thumb. I still don't know if it is broken or not. It is still swollen, and it has taken me twice as long to type this because I can't use my thumb...but I can bend it--so I don't think it's broken. It's crazy the body parts you take for granted when you no longer have the ability to use them. I had to put my keys in the ignition with my left hand! And changing Ethan's diaper was another story. Oh well, I spose it will heal in due time. After I told my mom the story and complained about the pain, she simply said "Kellie, you would never have made it as a pioneer." Well said. And she's right too!!

1 comment:

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

Hey Kell,
I'm so sorry you had such a bad day. I have been thinking about you and hope your surgery went well yesterday. Give me a call if I can do anything for you. Love ya! Jess