Friday, September 14, 2007

Motherhood

Everyday that Ethan grows and develops continues to amaze me. I feel so blessed to have such a sweet little baby in my home. It is an honor and privilege to be his mother, and I can't help but feel overwhelmed sometimes with the enormous responsibility of raising a righteous and good man. Luckily, I have a wonderful husband to stand by my side and help instill good morals and values in our children--Ethan is equally lucky to have such a great example of a righteous priesthood holder. Some of you may not know, but I am able to stay home with my little man and really watch him "learn." It's been quite fun lately because he has started to eat "big boy food" and really loves to try new things. Today, however, was somewhat of a challenge...I'll start at the beginning. Skyler didn't have to be into work till later this morning, so I was able to get up early (courtesy of Ethan) and head to the gym. Now, I don't mind going to the gym, to be honest I quite enjoy working out--maybe because it's my little bit of "alone time" and I rather enjoy that. Until I decided to train for a half marathon...who knew running 13.1 miles could be such a chore!??! I was barely able to run 6 miles before I started feeling tired and defeated--so I headed home. Ethan was ready for breakfast. 1 bowl of oatmeal cereal and tub of peaches later, he was ready for a nap. So I thought. Ethan thought differently. After battling it out I gave in and played with him for a while before he was clearly tired and ready for a nap. 2 hours to myself right? Think again. It was time to start the first of many loads of laundry, dusting, dishes, etc (I HATE to have a messy house)! Ethan woke up and was ready to go. Off to the park we went. After swinging for about 10 minutes he just wasn't feeling it anymore so we did a few laps around the block (he LOVES his stroller rides). We get home, I put Ethan in his walker and began cleaning the kitchen. I get just about done before I realize Ethan has thrown his strawberry banana puffs all over the floor and proceeded to walk all over them crunching them up into dust. Out came the dust buster and mop. No more puffs for Ethan. It's lunch time. Garden vegetables and applesauce with a few carrot wagon wheels, yum huh? After cleaning his high chair I realize that the dryer is done. Now it's time to do the consuming part of the laundry. Folding. Yuck! I began folding the clothes and Ethan of course crawled over to the laundry basket and was trying mercilessly to pull himself up--he finally accomplished that goal--standing up looking over the basket at the crisp clean clothes. Not more than 2 seconds later do I hear a burp and blehhhh--up comes Ethan's lunch!!! All over the clean clothes!! Time for another load. He fought again to stay up for his second nap of the day, but I'm happy to say that I prevailed (because I'm the mom and I said so, right?) Ethan woke up a happy, curious little boy (as he always does) and at the end of the day, no matter what occurred through out the day, I am ALWAYS so happy to be Ethan's mama. After Ethan was born, I truly understood the meaning of love at first sight...I found this cute poem that I thought was VERY appropriate. Enjoy!

Before I Was A Mom I made and ate hot meals. I had unstained clothing. I had quiet conversations on the phone. Before I was a Mom I slept as late as I wanted. And never worried about how late I got into bed. I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday. I never wondered if I would be able to shower. Before I was a Mom I cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to lullabies. Before I was a Mom I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous. I never thought about immunizations. Before I was a Mom I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, peed on, or pinched by tiny fingers. Before I was a Mom I had complete control of my mind, my thoughts, my body and all my feelings. I slept all night. Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep. Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put him down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom. Before I was a Mom I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that bond between a Mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important. Before I was a Mom I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure he was OK. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much......I never understood how much my mom loves me......Before I was a Mom

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I love that poem. I'm glad that you have finally joined the blogging world. It is much easier this way. Isn't being a mom just wonderful?