Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Enough is Enough is Enough.......

Alright. I'm lying. I couldn't get enough of the Olympics. And now they're over. I don't know what I loved most about the Olympics--the fact that they kept me busy and un-bored all the many many nights that my husb was working til midnight (or later!)??

Could it be the joyous pride you feel to be an American? On the blessed nights that Sky was home to watch with me, I'm quite sure I drove him mental (or he thought I was mental) asking him more than once, twice, three times, "Aren't you just so happy to be an American?"

It could very well have been those P & G commercials honoring mothers that made me tear up a time or two. Or three. "Is there anything better than being a U.S. Olympian? There is, actually. Being that U.S. Olympian's mom." AHHHHH! LOVE THAT!

Maybe the fact that I have a secret crush on Apolo Anton Ohno made it that much more enjoyable? Let me clarify, I'm not exactly thrilled by him because of his looks so much, rather it's something about the way he skates and all the records he was trying to break made me nervous and giddy to watch him! Luckily, I was able to disguise my school girl crush quite well. I think Skyler thought my sweaty palms and racing heartbeat was because he came home early those nights (I'm talking 10:00).

But really, my favorite part of the Olympics? That commercial about Dan Jansen. You know, the one where he promised to win a gold medal for his dying sister, Jane? But then he crashed and burned and Jane died never getting to see him win a gold. Until seven years later, he skated a victory lap of his first gold with his daughter.........JANE.

I. CAN'T. TAKE. IT! I was usually in tears by the time it showed him falling and knowing his dream of a gold for his sister was ruined. And then even more tears when he skated with his daughter. I probably mentioned the fact that I loved that commercial a bazillion times to Sky, too . Between that and my undying need to profess my love for being an American, Skyler is probably glad the Olympics are over.

3 comments:

Layne & Crystal said...

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE! I loved the Olympics and am sad they are now over (probably the only time ever that my husband will endure watching all sorts of figure skating & ice dancing with me -although I think he secretly enjoyed it)and that commercial brought tears to my eyes no matter how many times I saw it!

Jessi said...

love this post! love it! what is it about the olympics? and I must say... i am glad that i am not the only one who cries about those commercials and gets nervous to watch the USA compete and beg for them to win from miles away talking at the tv. fabulous! the nly time that the worlds comes together instead of being divided, how on earth could you hate the olympics? i mean come on people! thanks for charing kellie! this was fun :-)

Nilda Noel said...

So I couldn't agree anymore than if I would have written it myself. It brought tears to my eyes just reading it. I am SO PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!! Just that thought makes me realize how lucky I am, we are, to be born in such a wonderful country.

We really need to get together. Found out this week that Laura is moving the end of this month to Oregon. I'm telling you I'm going to need some fun girls times because I spend so much time with her and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through withdrawals for months to come. And her kids...what am I going to do without her kids!!! Maybe we can do the girl's weekend that never happened. Realize I'm posting this on your blog...but hey...at least I'm posting it:) Love you!