Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

That's what little boys are made of. Really? Do you ever wonder if perhaps the person who coined that phrase didn't actually have a little boy? Certainly they didn't have two of them 22 months apart. Certainly. For my boys the correct phrase would be something like bumps and bruises and cheeto-stained fingers....that's what little boys are made of. Sometimes my rambunctious little men are too much to handle! I try to convince myself that obviously this madness no, madness is the right word, comes from my husband's side of the family. After all, he does have 3 brothers. :)

However, the upside to continuously stepping on legos and cars and other pointy objects that would cause any educated, well adjusted and otherwise rational person to curse is the fact that my boys are buddies for life. I was just telling my mom the other day how I finally knew that my babes were becoming best friends.

You see, I typically bathe them after dinner every night. Ok, on my good nights. After bath time is a little bit more play time, then off to bed they go. Lately though, and I mean within the last week, I've been putting Ethan and Teigan to bed sweatier (more sweaty?) then they were before their bath. Besides being sweaty they usually have a bump or bruise or both right before bed as well (right now Ethan is sporting a mean black eye and Teig's got a pretty sweet battle wound on his forehead). That's when it dawned on me. They are my tough little men and they are best friends! They run and chase each other (you should see Teigan's cute naked little legs try to run as fast as Ethan!) and tackle each other and wrestle until one breaks free of the other. They zoom cars in circles around the house and equipped with swords (usually an empty water bottle or flash light) they fight mean dragons. They take turns going down their slide and stack their building blocks until one finally gives in to the temptation of knocking the other one's down. You'd think this would end in tears but thankfully, it causes laughter.

It's no secret really that I feel like I can't possibly be a mother to ALL BOYS. I don't know how my mother-in-law did it. In fact, at my last OB appointment my doctor asked if we were planning on having more children. Of course was my response and because he delivered both of my boys he jokingly asked, "what if it's another boy?" I answered his question with a question. "Do you deliver in the psyche ward?" :)

Seriously though, my boys are the best. If I have another couple of boys just like Ethan and Teigan I would be happy as a clam. As long as they were followed by a little girl :) There's just nothing like watching your two children build lasting friendships and bonds that can't be broken. I hope I always hear Ethan whisper to Teigan, "Let's jump on the bed Teigy bear, but shut the door so mom doesn't see and we have to be quiet." Because that right there--means they are buddies for life and will always watch out for each other.

1 comment:

Rasmussen Family said...

my sister-in-law had two boys 2 years apart and then was blessed with a princess of a girl--turns out she's as rough and tough as those boys...just in a dress:)