Monday, September 21, 2009

(UN) Domestic Goddess

So, I've been trying to be a little more domestic lately. And by a little more I mean actually making real home cooked meals. See, the problem is, Skyler is a pretty picky eater......if it were up to him he'd have pasta every single day. Lunch and dinner. Which really is fine by me--he could have it for every meal if he really wanted....but then he'd most likely have a 300 lb. wife as well. So you see, I'm trying to open him up to different meals every night. Ones that don't come straight out of a box. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good cook......I'm better at BAKING things like cookies and cupcakes and stuff, but hey, I can follow a recipe you know.

What I'm not good at: Sewing and scrapbooking and stamping and all that other "mormon" stuff. The thing is, I've tried. Really I have. I WANT to scrapbook and sew and stamp and such but it just isn't in me!

But anyway, back to cooking. The other night I made a de-lish homemade chicken pot pie......Sky came home from work and saw it sitting on top of the stove. He said, "What's this?" I said, "It's chicken pot pie-hope that's ok." Sky said, "Where did you find such a big one?" Me: "Uhh, I MADE it." And it was pretty tasty. So, for all you undomestic goddesses out there, here's the recipe (from a cooking blog I found but can't remember which one):



1 pie crust
3 chicken breasts
5 red potatoes
2 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 bag frozen peas and carrots - thawed
1 sweet onion - diced
butter
egg

1. Heat oven to 450
2. Heat two large pans of water - these are for the chicken and potatoes
*I usually add some chicken bullion to the water for taste - and we could all use a little more sodium right?
3. Trim fat from chicken and dice the potatoes, then add to the boiling water, separately of course
4. Cook the bottom of the pie crust first, in the oven. Just follow the directions on the back of the pie crust box for a "one crust pie" - I cook mine for 9 minutes. Make sure you set the timer. After cooking, turn the oven down to 400 to cook the pie
*this isn't a one crust pie of course but I do not like having a soggy pie bottom. noboby does. you'll add the top crust later.
5. saute the onion in butter until it is translucent and tender - it can even be a little golden
6. when the chicken is done shred it into bite size pieces
7. the potatoes are done when they break apart by being stabbed with a fork - strain them
8. combine the shredded chicken, potatoes, peas and carrots, onions and the 2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup in a large bowl
9. pour the glorious mixture into the already-cooked pie crust
10. now add the top crust and trim to fit the pie plate.
11. whisk the egg in a small bowl and baste over the top crust
*the egg is strickly for cosmetic purposes, it helps the pie keep it's color and provides a shine when cooked
12. make 4 slits in the top of the pie with a knife to provide steam release while the pie is baking
13. bake for 40 minutes and then let the pie cool for a few minutes on top of the stove

Besides being a cooking genius :) I also LOVE to decorate my house. So while some of you are sewing and scrapbooking and stuff...I'm out shopping for home decor! Also, another thing I think I'm good at is making some darn cute babies! And by "I" I mean my husband and me (but mostly me :)) Seriously peeps!! I know we all think our own babies are super cute but really, no really...mine are!! The other day at the store some older guy told me that E and T were the most beautiful children he had ever seen....then he said "and I have three of my own!" Ouch, but ok--it's true!! I mean, look at these faces!!!




I'd give you the recipe on how to make these but then that wouldn't be very domestic of me would it?! :-) Hope everyone has a domesticated filled week!!

3 comments:

Molly Rivera said...

YOu should try digital scrapbooking, it's the best! No mess, and no hours of cutting and gluing.

Valerie Housley said...

How great is this--we both made our own homemade chicken pot pies! I made one last week and it was sooo yummy! :) When do I get to see you again!?

Rasmussen Family said...

I thought you might like this blog:http://partyperfectblog.blogspot.com/
all about cute birthday parties! You're a good party planner so...Also, I don't like scrapbooking ONE BIT! blogging is as close as I get to keeping track of our life. Also, I have a list of some awesome home deco blogs if you're interested:)