Saturday, July 12, 2008

Random Fun

Ethan is officially a big boy now. He sleeps in a big boy bed and we are still "trying" to potty train him. He loves his new room--actually it's the freedom of no bars that he is loving. The first few nights were a nightmare trying to get him to stay in bed! We would tuck him in and leave the room and Ethan would follow 2 seconds later. I think the first night we had to stand outside his bedroom and put him back in bed about 7 or 8 times. We don't say anything to him, just pick him up and throw him back in bed. He's gotten rather smart about it though, because each time he tried to get out of bed he would wait a little bit longer...probably assuming that he had tricked us into thinking that he was actually going to stay in bed. And one night when Skyler was out of town, I put him to bed and took my usual post outside of his bedroom...sure enough I saw the doorknob begin to turn and as soon as Ethan opened it and saw me standing there, he shrieked and slammed the door in my face and began his mad dash back to bed. He thinks he is so clever. So I decided on the next round to hide around the corner to see what he would do. I saw him open the door (he couldn't see me, although he looked like he knew this may be a trap) and he was very hesitant to step outside of his room...but he poked his head out first to make sure the coast was clear and started running as fast as he could down the hall into my bedroom. He was pretty shocked when I ran up behind him! He is sooo funny!!



As far as potty training goes, he has gone on his big boy potty a few times now. He still just doesn't understand the "feeling" of needing to go yet. Although, Skyler has taught him that if he goes on the potty he gets a cookie. Sky has been out of town this last week so it's just been me and Ethan. The other night I changed Ethan's diaper, put his pajamas on, and brushed his teeth. I brought him downstairs to read a book before bed and Ethan walked straight into the bathroom where his potty is. He sat down (fully clothed) and looked as though he was really concentrating. A few seconds later he stood up and said, "I get cookie!!" Well, as it turned out he had peed in his diaper!! If he could just figure out that he's supposed to take his clothes off.....

A few weeks ago we went up to St. George to visit Skyler's grandparents...Ethan had his first experience on a tractor and had a blast!



Ethan loves to read books. He can always be found with a book in his hand. He sits through a whole sacrament meeting with no disturbance because he is so busy looking at all his books. We are so lucky that he behaves so well at church--because there are always a handful of kids running around during the meeting. Not our little guy!!!



Ethan is really starting to talk a lot--which has been wonderful! Life gets SOOO much easier when your child can actually tell you what he wants or doesn't want. He tells me when he's hungry and what he wants to eat....cheese, cracker, cookie, hot dog, milk, and water are among his new vocabulary. He also understands very clearly, what yes and no means. If I say, "Ethan do you want some cheese?" He will either say yes or no. I seriously can't believe how much nicer this 2 way communication is! What else does Ethan say?

"I need help." That's a huge frustration reliever for all of us.

"Brush teeeeeth" He really emphasizes teeth! And he LOVES to brush them. Morning and night, he always reminds me to brush his teeth.

"Read a book." I hear this about a million times a day.

"Talk to daddy." He says this when he wants me to call Skyler so he can "talk" to him (when really I think he just likes to hear Skyler's voice).

"Elmo, Elmo, Elmo!" He either wants to hold his Elmo, watch his Elmo DVD, or read his Elmo book.

"Want Emme's house." He loves to play at his friend, Emme's house. We go there almost every day.

"Blah, Blah, Blah!" He overheard me say this to my mom over the phone one day, and now he says it constantly! We have to be very careful what we say in front of him!

The other day before Skyler left for work, he bent over to give me a kiss (I was sitting on the couch and Ethan was standing at my feet) and said goodbye to Ethan without giving him a kiss. This didn't sit well with Ethan because as Skyler began to walk to the door Ethan yelled, "I want a kiss too!!!" It was sooo cute! And Skyler and I sort of had a moment where we just looked at each other like "did he just say that?!" We are both so very grateful for Ethan's sweet little spirit!

Those are just a few of the sweet conversations I have with my son on a daily basis. I love him oh so much!! He also talks a lot about his new baby on the way. I really believe he knows far more about this baby than anybody else and he is soo excited!

Oh, and another milestone--Ethan can swim all by himself! Well, with the help of his water wings. He slips one on each arm and just dives right into the pool. I don't even have to get in with him, although, I'm never far away. He and Emme will swim around like little puppy dogs until they literally can't swim anymore. I will have to upload a video of this new feat! I'm one proud mama!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just noticed that your "comments" thing says "shout outs". thats pretty cool (said like adam rust). I also love your new set up on your blog! and I can't believe how big ethan is! I love, love ,love his room and new bed!! I love your lettering on the wall... please tell me that you didn't stencil that! I'm sorry Skyelr has been gone that can be a big bummer! But it sounds like ethan is so cute running out of his room.. your such a great and fun mom Kel! Love you and miss you!