Thursday, January 29, 2009

Homemade Granola Bars

Since today is Ethan's birthday I thought it would be fun to bake something with him because that is something that he really likes to do. We went to the park earlier and I figured we could make something to occupy the time before his afternoon nap. But since I spent 2 days making his birthday cake I wanted to do something simple. So we made granola bars. The recipe is super easy (compliments of Marie) and can be made with stuff that you probably already have in your pantry. And they are delicious! Ethan loves them.

2 1/2 c. Oats - quick rolled oats
1/2 c. Rice Krispies
1/4 c. Coconut
1/2 c. M&M minis
1/2 c. Brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 c. Butter, softened
1/4 c. Honey
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
Add all of the ingredients and mix together until combined. Press into a square 8×8 pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and score into bars. Let it set completely and then cut into bars. For thinner bars, press mix into a 9×13 pan. They seem to set a little better in the 9×13 pan. I like to put half in one 8x8 pan and half in another 8x8 pan.




Today I didn't have any M&M's so we made S'mores granola bars by chopping up marshmellows and chocolate chips--you could use anything though, really.

Also a good tip: Spray your measuring cup with vegetable spray before you add a sticky substance, like honey--it should slide right off!!!
Finished Bars

Mom, I think Ethan likes to wear Mr. Potato Head stuff more than playing with it! Thanks for the great gift!!

Enjoying his birthday cake!

Even Teigan got in on the festivities!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love it! I will have to try out that recipe...after Disneyland. Hope Ethan had a great birthday today. See you guys next week.

Heather said...

Oops- Kellie, it's me, Laura Crooks...apparently I'm signed in as my sister's...on my parent's computer :)