Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mts. Edge Park, Spawn of Satan, Clippin me some Coupons

The other day was a beautiful, warm day so I decided to load up my boys and have a picnic at the park with them. Ethan absolutely loved eating his lunch at the park's picnic tables and Teigan really enjoyed the sun and warm weather. I thought I would have to force Ethan to eat before he went to play, but he understood that he had to eat all his food first, and then go play. After the yummy picnic, Ethan was off to explore the park. Because it was such a nice day there were a LOT of people there. We made our way over to the giant snake that Ethan loves to climb on--I was sitting on the bench watching Ethan play with some other kids. He really really loves to play with other little children and it is so cute to watch him interact with them. Soon, the other kids left, so he was left alone to play for a bit (which he doesn't mind either).

Enter spawn of Satan and our day suddenly changed. A boy probably 3 or 4 years older than E started to play in the snake with Ethan. It seemed that they were getting along nicely until I see the kid pick up a handful of dirt and throw it on Ethan's clothes!! I thought surely his mother will come over and say something to him, but after looking around nobody came forward, so I say to the kid, "Um, we don't throw dirt--it's not nice to throw dirt." Which is exactly what I would have said to Ethan had he been the one to throw dirt. The kid just looked at me and kept on playing. A few minutes later the kid picked up another handful of dirt and when Ethan turned around he poured the dirt in his hood! I was in utter disbelief that someone could raise their kid to be so rude. Again, I waited a few seconds to see if whoever was responsible for him would step in but of course no one did. So I had to go over to him again and say, "Do not throw dirt at my son again!" Ethan had a look on his face like Thanks Mom! But Lucifer just looked at me with his beady little eyes and didn't say anything. I sat back down on the bench and thought that I should just try to get Ethan to play on the swings or something to get him away from this kid, and as soon as I was getting up this kid threw a handful of dirt right in Ethan's face! In his face! Poor Ethan looked at me like "what the heck is this kid's problem???" I didn't even wait this time to see if someone would claim him because let's be honest, if it were my kid, I wouldn't claim him either!! I went right over to them, started wiping off Ethan's face and told the kid, "If you can't play nicely than you need to leave." And then I hear it......

Lady with too much makeup on: "Don't talk to my son like that, I'm the only one to discipline him!"
Me: "Well, perhaps if you were around to discipline, then I wouldn't have to."
Lady with overdrawn eyebrows: (with lots of attitude) "I have been right here the whole time."
Me: "Then you should have said something to your son when he threw dirt at my son the first time. I wouldn't have allowed my son to throw dirt."
Lady with lip liner on 10 shades too dark: "My son would NEVER throw dirt."

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!

Right then Lucifer picked up another handful of dirt and threw it on Ethan's clothes. Right in front of Medusa. She looked at me, then looked at him, started yelling something in spanish and took off. Really, now. What. Is. Wrong. With. People?!?!?!?

The thing is, Ethan doesn't know how to be mean yet. Yes, he disobeys, and yes, he gets into things he shouldn't--but I have never ever seen Ethan be mean just to be mean. Even when the kid was mean to him, he didn't understand what was going on.

Skyler said Ethan should have thrown dirt back to stand up for himself--and I said uh, no....he should have punched the kid right square in the nose. That would have taught him. So, now, amongst all the other things I have to teach Ethan, I have to teach him a mean right hook! That's how us Savages do it!

In other news, I have to give a shout out to my friend Sesily for hosting an awesome coupon money saving class. I learned about this website that tells you exactly when to use your coupons from the Sunday paper to save the most money--it even tells you which ad to find the coupon in. It's fantastic. Now, I don't think I had really ever used a coupon before in my life--I just figured it was too much hassle or something. But I used my coupons yesterday and my grocery bill was $52.84 BEFORE coupons, and I payed a total of $15.18 AFTER coupons! I saved $37.66!! I told Skyler that I was going to tally up all the money I saved using coupons and at the end of each month go and buy me some awesome new jeans or shoes or jewelry or something....but then he reminded me that that would defeat the whole purpose of saving money....why oh why did I have to marry an accountant?!? :-)

We are right in the middle of busy season right now--and I say "we" because if Sky is working a million hours/week then that means I am too. Somedays I would just love to switch positions with Skyler because he at least gets to have adult interaction (even if it is boring audit talk). Sometimes the only adult interaction I get is, "Would you like paper or plastic?" And if I have to sing Popcorn Popping one more time.......Also, Sky sometimes gets to eat at fancy restaurants, and even on the days that he doesn't eat at a yummy restaurant he at least gets to indulge in the Employee Dining Hall (which he claims isn't very good, but secretly I think he loves). The EDR is like buffet style of some sort and I still tell Skyler that is a lot better than me having to think about what to cook for breakfast, lunch and dinner--then actually cook it--then clean it up. This week I think I have seen Skyler a total of like 40 minutes. 10 minutes each morning before he leaves for work. The last two nights he didn't even get home till almost 3 in the morning!!! And at least 3 days this week I don't think he even saw Ethan or Teigan! Ridiculous I tell you. I just have to keep my eye on the prize to get through the next couple of busy seasons....which had better be a fatty diamond someday to remind myself of all the lonely hours I've lived through.....after all, diamonds are a girls best friend. So Skyler, if you are reading this, so are True Religion jeans, MAC makeup, SHOES, trips to exotic places, and fancy restaurants. I love my man!

Here are some cute pictures of my darling little boys!!!



7 comments:

Molly Rivera said...

I love your posts! They are so entertaining.
I can't even believe that little brat at the park. Poor Ethan...he is so sweet.
So I am trying out that coupon thing to and keeping track of how much I save. I'm going to try and see if I can get away with using some of the savings on a little something for myself...but I'm pretty sure that will not fly with my hubby either.

Rachael said...

HEy whats the coupon thing? I want to know more :) Poor Ethan and the bully. I can't believe the mother. The boys are too cute.

Jordan and Loni Carr said...

Your commentary is hillarious, I love reading them. especially the description of "Medusa" paints the perfect picture! Isnt it interesting to watch other kids? I find it really amusing to watch a mean kid with an innnocent one, cuz they do always have that look of "what is he doing?" And I agree with the "right hook" Go kellie! Oh and I just learned about coupons for the first time from a friend of mine last weekend, she has a whole binder and baseball card holders that keep them organized. So I got my first sunday paper and am excited to try it out. your boys are adorable!

Rasmussen Family said...

I totally want to figure out the coupon thing! That's awesome. Also, I think you should have started throwing dirt at that boy asking how much he liked it!

Alec and Emily said...

I was laughing out loud reading your post! I am with you, you should totally teach your kid how to fight back!:)

Unknown said...

Thats so sad that the other mother didn't do anything at first.. obviously she wasn't even watching her kid! Its great that Ethan knew better then to throw dirt back and to let you handle it. It shows that you have taught your son right!

Katie and Victor said...

Your boys are so cute! I dont like other people at the park either I have some of my own stories. I love watching little kids dance its so adorable. So what is this coupon thing? Tell me more.