Sunday, December 7, 2008

Open the door Ethan!

Yesterday was quite the day for me. Skyler has pretty much started his "busy season" (which I HATE), and because of this, he was at the office yesterday. Leaving me alone with 2 little boys....which, is really no big deal--all week I took care of both boys by myself without incident. Yesterday I wasn't so lucky!

I had baked ziti and crescent rolls cooking in the oven last night at 7:30. Both were to be done at 8:00. That's what time Skyler was SUPPOSED to come home. Teigan woke up from his nap around 7:35 and ate for about 15 minutes. I knew he wasn't done eating, but I looked at the clock and it was 7:54--Ethan had a dirty diaper that needed to be changed and dinner needed to come out of the oven. I put Teigan down on the couch and chased down Ethan. So the plan was to change E, get the dinner out, finish feeding Teigan, then eat dinner as a family ( I know that sounds late to everyone, but Ethan had a late lunch and looong afternoon nap...otherwise Ethan would be in bed at 8!).

I only made it to step 1 of that plan! I changed Ethan's diaper and walked outside to the garage to dispose of his diaper in our large trash can. Just as I was walking back to door, I hear the dead bolt lock. AHHH!!! Then I hear Ethan laugh his adorable laugh which wasn't so adorable at the time. I'm trying to tell Ethan to unlock the door--to which he starts jiggling the doorknob. He clearly had no idea as to what he had just done. So, I'm in the garage thinking: I don't have my cell phone (to call Skyler), no keys, no key hidden anywhere...what the heck am I going to do??? At this point I hear the oven beeping and all I can envision is my house up in flames! Enter panic mode. Then I remember that a couple from our ward lives across the street and I am just crossing my fingers that they are home on a Saturday night. Sure enough, they were and I was able to call Skyler. Remember now, that he was SUPPOSED to be home at 8 and it is now a little after 8. Our conversation goes a little like this:
Me: Hey, where are you--you almost home? (thinking he should be, because it's after 8 and he was SUPPOSED to be home-in which case wouldn't have been a big deal, because then the kids would have only been left unattended for a few minutes).
Skyler: Uh, no.
Me: Where are you then?
Skyler: I'm still at the office......
Me: STILL. AT. THE. OFFICE?!?!? (about 30 minutes away--without traffic!!!) Let's just say that it was a very good thing that Matt and Amanda were in the room with me because I had a few other words I could have said....
Skyler: Yeah, I just had to finish up one last thing.
Me: Well you need to leave NOW and come home NOW because Ethan has locked me out of the house and both ovens are on and Teigan is alone on the couch with Ethan!!!!!!!!

After that, Matt and Amanda came over to my house with me and again, we tried to coax Ethan into opening the door again. No such luck and by this point Teigan is SCREAMING! Which of course, made me start crying because I just felt so helpless. It didn't help that I could smell food burning from outside my front door. Enter picture of house on fire in my head again! So we decided to call the new fire department up the road to see if they could get in my house. They tell me that they can only come help if my house is on fire. IF MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE??! Really, we're gonna let it get that far?! So it's not a big enough emergency that my two small children, one of which is a newborn, is alone in a house with the ovens on??? Let me understand--firefighters rescue CATS out of trees--CATS--but not children locked inside a home that could possibly catch fire!!? Makes all the sense in the world to me. They tell me to find an object and break a window to let myself in. REALLY?! Like I hadn't thought of that already and decided that wasn't a very good idea. So much for the fire station.......

Ethan was a very good brother throughout all of this and put Teigan's paci in his mouth when I asked him to. Luckily, Ethan has no parent-child separation anxiety....he was totally chillin inside the house. I was peeking in through glass on my front door and saw him giving Teigan kisses, "It's ok Teenden!" and reading books to himself. Oh that little stinker!

30 minutes later we see a car fishtail around the corner--YES! Skyler was home! My rolls were like bricks and the ziti was as dry as the desert. Bless Skyler's heart for still eating it!! He even told me it was good. So moral of the story? Hide keys in my garage, back yard, at Amanda's house, in the sole of my shoe--because with a son like Ethan, who knows when or where I will need it!!!! Another moral of the story? Come home when your wife asks you to! All you men out there: GO HOME WHEN YOUR WIFE ASKS YOU TO! :-)

I'm grateful for the comfort that Amanda was able to give me, reassuring me that I'm not in fact a horrible mother. And the comedic relief that her husband, Matt brought. Because it was quite humorous (and quite evident that he doesn't have children) when he told my almost 2 year old to "turn the dead bolt to the left." HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm glad I can laugh about this now.................

2 comments:

Alec and Emily said...

This made me laugh out loud when I read it. I am sure it was not funny at the time, and I am sure something like this will happen to me when we have kids:).
Hope you guys are having great holiday season regardless of the few mishaps here and there:):)

Holly said...

This is Holly & Curt Smith (Curt and Skyler were friends in high school, and my dad, Chris Henderson, is business partners with Skyler's dad); I found your blog through Val Housley. Sorry for the long introduction, but I just wanted to say that we were laughing so hard when we read this post! I can't even imagine how you must have felt--how scary! I'm so glad it worked out okay! Your little family is so cute. Good luck, and happy holidays!