Sunday, October 5, 2008

Conference Time

I so enjoyed President Monson's talk today! I was really able to relate to his message of enjoying today instead of looking toward tomorrow or thinking about yesterday. I loved what he said about raising children and enjoying every minute with them because it really does go by too quickly. Tears (of happiness) filled my eyes as I watched President Monson through a mess of sticky fingerprints on our television--as I recalled the many, MANY times I have instructed Ethan not to touch the TV with his little hands...or the numerous times I may have mumbled about picking up the toys that Ethan loves to strew about the house...and realized then, that there will absolutely be a day that I will wish that I had toys to step over, or fingerprints to wipe, or crumbs to vacuum--oh how I love being a mom!!! I think I will think twice before I chastise Ethan again for just being a messy little boy!

Anyway, with that in mind--let me share a little story of what Ethan did last week. Sometimes, when I get ready in the morning, Ethan likes to get in the shower and shower like a big boy. He washes his hair and body and stomps around the shower while I put my makeup on. He also likes to open and close the lid to the body wash (making it a bit runnier when we go to use it the next day), take the lid of my shaving cream and spray it on the walls, and once he even completely dumped out a bottle of my brand new, somewhat expensive, shampoo! That, however, pales in comparison to what he got himself into this time.

When I was ready to pull him out of the shower, I could see through the glass door that the shower was filling up with water!! I quickly opened the door (if I had been even two minutes later, the water would have flooded up over the lip of the shower) and Ethan was sitting in the water saying, "It's ok, it's ok, it's ok." He says that every time he does something wrong. Anyway, I noticed that Ethan had pulled up the drain cover so I knew that he must have put something down there to block the water. I went to get Skyler and when we got back to the shower the water was slowly, S-L-O-W-L-Y draining itself around whatever Ethan had managed to shove down there. I looked around and thought that I had accounted for every bottle of shampoo and conditioner, body wash, and shaving cream and couldn't for the life of me think what Ethan could have possibly shoved down the drain. Then I realized that a new bottle of hair glaze was missing......yes, a bottle that was so perfectly shaped for a little boy to drop down deep into the drain. Skyler and I had no idea how we were going to get it out. We thought about waiting for the water to completely drain then blow drying the bottle and threading a roll of tape down to the lid to hoist it out--but that just seemed like so much work. We thought there had to be an easier way. Well, Sky finally decided to take a screw driver down the drain and screw into the bottle's lid and was able to pull it up that way. Anyway, it was quite the ordeal--and I am glad that we were able to laugh about it....but that will probably be one of the many memories I will keep of raising my sweet little Ethan.

Sky and I just think though, "What's it going to be like with TWO little boys?!" What will Ethan be capable of with a little accomplice?? I guess we will know soon enough--I can't believe how close we are to the end of the pregnancy! This one has just flown by. And we may be welcoming this new little bundle sooner rather than later because I have already started to experience some pretty crazy strong contractions! Ethan can't wait to meet his little brother!

1 comment:

Katie and Victor said...

I am glad that you enjoyed conference. I didnt get much out of it because Maelyn was busy trying to shove things all over the hotel room in her mouth. I am so excited for your new baby to come! Good Luck!