Thursday, February 5, 2009

Shopaholic

I am a shopaholic. There. I said it. Isn't that the first step when fighting an addiction? To admit you have a problem? I don't think me admitting it is going to help anything though. And I think if there were some sort of shopaholic anonymous meeting--Skyler would sign me up in a heartbeat. He'd have to tell me there was some sort of huge sale going on at some warehouse to get me there though......

I mean, so what if I like to shop? And what if I really can't help myself? You know in movies and T.V. shows when an object is lit up and you can hear angels singing in the background? I see that everytime I'm at a department store. A handbag or some fantastic shoes are literally lit up and I can hear angels singing.....like some sort of higher power is forcing me to buy them. Unfortunately Skyler doesn't hear anything and he doesn't believe that I do either. Maybe, just maybe it is a figment of my imagination but I would never ever admit that. It's the only excuse I have for some of my finer purchases. Even though Skyler tries to reassure me that I won't, in fact, "just die without them." I'm not quite convinced--and I'd rather not take my chances...

Plus, I'm like the thriftiest shopper ever. Let's say (hypothetically, of course) I see a Dooney and Bourke purse marked down from $400 $110.00. It's like a no-brainer for me. I HAVE to get it because I'm SAVING about $300.00! And because it's totally the best deal of the century. Too bad Skyler doesn't see it my way. He doesn't see it as saving money. He sees it like it's still $110.00 for a purse and don't you have a million of them stashed away at the top of your closet anyway? Oh well. We've only been married for 3 years. There's still plenty of time for him to understand my point of view.

And so what if I "accidentally-on-purpose" forget to tell Skyler about some of my major purchases. Does he really need to know that I practically bought out all of Kirkland's (home decor) inventory at their going out of business sale? And so what if I "accidentally-on-purpose" forget to leave some of my purchases in the car to smuggle in at a later time when the coast is clear? And is it really a big deal if I "accidentally-on-purpose" fabricate (just slightly) the cost of my fantastic new shoes just so Skyler doesn't have a heart attack? I really am only looking out for my husband's well being. And who cares that I bought the most adorable skirt from Express and when my husband asks, "Is that skirt new?" I reply, "What, this old thing?" :-)

I think I have officially bought all of my birthday, christmas, anniversary and valentine's presents for the next ten years of my life....because that's another of my famous lines. "It can be my birthday present!" Nevermind that my birthday is in November and I'm buying stuff in January.

Skyler is learning as my poor dad has learned, it's easier for me to ask for forgiveness than permission! :-)

And FYI, I didn't buy the Dooney purse. Hypothetically, of course.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Kellie...you crack me up! I totally do the EXACT same thing! Except, we're still poor college students, so its on a much smaller scale. But the leaving stuff in the car? Haha...I laughed the whole time! I think a lot of girls can relate!

Rasmussen Family said...

haha. I took back a dress today because I felt guilty for spending too much money on clothes...I think Tyler's getting to me because I NEVER DO THAT! anyway, I think I'm going to have ALL day, March 28(the last Saturday in march?) to come visit you. What do you think?